Pages

February 28, 2012

Mario Batali's Grapefruit & Honey Cake

Oh my word. Oh my word. OH.MY.WORD!


If you are looking for a delicious ending to the perfect Italian meal, this is the cake for you!
If you've been searching for a citrus-y morsel for your tea table, this is the cake for you!
If you don't care what time of day you eat cake, then this is the recipe for you!
Last Spring, Mother Nature froze the blossoms off our lime & lemon trees.  (We love those fruit for the goodness they bring to grilling, drinks & desserts!) She graciously allowed a few oranges to survive. That fickle woman barely touched the grapefruit tree!
Having a few grapefruit to dispose of, and wishing to use olive oil & honey instead of butter & sugar; I Googled  those terms and found this:
I have never baked a cake with bread crumbs before, and have no idea what their purpose is. Texture? Taste? Whatever -- this cake rocks!

I used a springform pan, fitted it with foil, greased it well, then dusted with bread crumbs.
shhhhhh -- Don't tell! -- I mixed all the ingredients in the food processor.
The cake baked nicely --
but did form cracks as it cooled.
Looks lovely on my Depression Glass cake stand.
Lovelier still with confectioner's sugar sifted over top.
This is the reason we didn't make a glaze for it! We served it with a bit of vanilla bean ice cream and a fresh blackberry sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. That is all I can say. I want to eat it, like yesterday. (And I got a laugh out of your comment regarding the paint named "OOPS." I have a few of those sitting around myself.) :)

    ps--I've tagged you in a bloggy Q&A game...no pressure to answer my questions, but you can if you want to! The post will be up tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious!! Now I need some cake!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?