Pages

May 21, 2015

“Almost Elote” Popcorn

ej_almost_elote (15)Elote is that incredible food known also as Mexican Street Corn. Usually it is grilled, slathered with mayo & a powdered dry cheese, then sprinkled with spices and perhaps a squeeze of lime.elote_nacho_libre

Since May’s Improv Challenge ingredients were cilantro & lime, I figured I’d try my hand with an elote version that wouldn’t need quite so many napkins!

First, I made the “sauce” to toss on the popped corn. ej_almost_elote (2)I found these little cubes of goodness at the Mexican market. (I use them quite often when I’m cooking black beans or making my White Chili…)ej_almost_elote (4)Tossed one of each into the 1/4 cup lime juice to soften

ej_almost_elote (5)then added 1/2 cup melted butter.

 

whirlpopI popped the corn in bacon grease. Yes, leftover bacon grease. I used 1 & 1/2 cups popping corn (popped in 3 batches). I dumped the hot kernels into a large lidded bowl & poured the butter/lime mixture over and shook well. Then I dumped the slightly wet corn into a pan, spread it out and stuck in a 300° oven for about 10 minutes to dry out. (Oh the smells that went wafting out the windows into my neighborhood!)

ej_almost_elote (6)In the meantime I mixed 3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon lime zest & 1 teaspoon dried cilantro. When the hot corn came out of the oven, this was generously sprinkled over…ej_almost_elote (7)If you can spare any, package it in a bucket to give away.ej_almost_elote (14)

Unfortunately, mine is all gone…

 

 

 

And here’s what my friends created with their cilantro & lime “ingrediaments”:

2 comments:

  1. OMMCG....Oh My Mexican Corn Goodness. I am so going to try this. My youngest son who lives off the street vender corn would so devour this. I will have to make a few buckets full. Just. For Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup -- so glad we've got a lime tree out back & plenty of dried cilantro leftover from Cinco de Mayo... That popcorn goes away, real fast!

      Delete

So...
What do you think?