Pages

July 16, 2015

Bacon-studded Honey Mustard Snaxx

titleThis month’s Improv ingredients are pretzels & mustard. I love making mustard (like I did here) but one must do that not-at-the-last-minute for a challenge!

Anyhow, the wonderhubs has a life-long aversion to pretzels, & I am currently (involuntarily) participating in an aversion to gluten. My solution was to come up with a gluten-free snack mix, where he could pick around those nazzzty pretzel pieces.EJmustpretzel (3)

I’d been seeing “Muddy Buddies” & “Chex Snack” mixes done in the crock pot on various blogs. That sounded so much more exciting to me than heating the oven/house for an hour or two while toasting the mix. (If your slow cooker, like mine, does not have a vent, you will need to use a towel to absorb the “perspiration” that comes off the mix as it cooks.)EJmustpretzel

Here’s my recipe:

¼ cup mustard powder

¼ cup water

½ cup butter

½ cup honey

3 cups Corn Bran Crunch™ cereal

3 cups Rice Chex™ cerealDSCN2878

3 cups Honey Nut Chex™ cereal

3 cups gluten free pretzels

2 cups gluten free rice crackers

1 cup sliced almonds

1 cup bacon crumbles

Mix mustard powder with water and let sit to thicken 10-15 minutes. Melt butter and stir in honey. Add thickened mustard and whisk until smooth.EJmustpretzel (6)

Combine remaining ingredients into crock. EJmustpretzel (7)Pour over honey mustard mixture and stir gently.EJmustpretzel (13)Cook on “Low” for 2 hours, carefully stirring every 30 minutes.

Pour onto parchment paper to cool.EJmustpretzel (15)Devour!

EJmustpretzel (19)This makes you wish for a larger crock…

…because you want to TRIPLE the recipe!

Check out what my friends did with their pretzels & mustard:

4 comments:

  1. This makes me wish I had a crockpot! What a delightful combination of flavors! Bacon. Mustard. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! No need for a crockpot -- just spread it on a pan in a 250° oven & bake for an hour or so, stirring every 15 minutes. (It's just I hate turning on my oven when it's 110° outside...)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great method for chex mix! I have never tried it in a crockpot before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe, Melody! I also didn't know you could make this kind of thing in the slow cooker. I love the combination of the mustard, honey, and bacon. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?